Thursday, October 28, 2010

Magpie Tales # 38 All I Have to Say

Many years my bones have lain here among the roots.
Their tangled nerves, where they have penetrated
my wooden shroud, brush my face.

The worms, the ants, the gophers
keep me company in my long sentinel,
tucked tightly into the grit.

Above, scoundrels topple
the witness to my name and days.
Cries of glee mock that soon embracing fate.

Do not be afraid, I want to say.
It is not what you think, this long journey.
This fling into the universal void is not dark, but light.

15 comments:

  1. Suki, I like your twist at the end. It is a light journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Scoundrels" - that's a word one rarely sees these days, but it adds something to this interesting piece. Also "fling" in the last line- is the body lightly disposed of? Or are the "scoundrels" flinging the headstone to the ground. A poem to peruse more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 2 favorite lines:

    It is not what you think, this long journey.
    This fling into the universal void is not dark, but light.

    An unexplainable bend in the rope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow this was wonderful
    and I wish I could be there when the grave speaks to these rascals

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the ending - not revenge, but reassurance... awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. "..Cries of glee mock that soon embracing fate." It all seems so far away, when you're younger. It's as though youth offers immunity. A cruel deception.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes Martin but actually I am thankful I was deceived in part anyway though being the daughter of a pathologist i was aware of death lurking at quite a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i will take the light anyday and what i leave behind they can take it...i dont need it anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the end... a hope of light to end the dark night of eternity...

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Suki, you just take my breath away with that last line. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so relieved light came to stay...Thanks Suki!

    ReplyDelete
  12. delightful ending..

    ReplyDelete